Frequently asked questions

independent social worker

What is an independent social worker?

An independent social worker runs their own private practice and is governed by a regulatory body, Social Work England, and expected to maintain their own continued professional development.

How much do you charge?

I charge £75.00 for an initial assessment where we can discuss what is worrying you most and then look at the options available to you and plan a way forward. My other services are charged at my hourly rate of £85.00.

Do you just help mums?

I can help all the family, not just mums. I work with adults of different ages and different physical and mental health conditions.

Can you help with my mum’s hospital discharge? I want her to come back home.

Yes, I can. You need to know what options for care are available before you can make an informed decision about what to do next. If both you and your mum want her to be back home, it needs to be safe and meet all her care and support needs and be sustainable longer term.

What services do you provide?

There is lots of information on the website describing how I can help you, a short summary is listed below. Feel free to look at the testimonials from existing clients to see what kind of support they gained.

  • Immediate access to high-quality advice and information
  • Finding in-home care or residential accommodation
  • Sourcing home living support; personal care and assisting with medical appointments and medication, transport, social activities and companionship
  • Planning for future care, contingencies and crisis support
  • Completing risk assessments and independent social work assessments of care and support needs or mental capacity
  • Signposting legal and financial support
  • Social and health care professional liaison

What is the difference between you and a local authority social worker?

We are both qualified and registered social workers, but I work directly with families with no referral process, I have access to a wide range of services and work with other independent professionals.

How quickly can you help me?

I only support a small number of families at a time so that I can ensure I’m able to be there when you need me most.

How can you help me?

  • By working with you and enabling you to decide what’s best for your mum
  • Providing you with information and advice specific to your circumstances when you need it
  • Offering you emotional support and a listening ear when things feel tough
  • Helping you to claim the benefits which you are entitled to
  • Explaining the social care system and what you need to ask for
  • Looking at all the options for care and finding the right one for your loved one
  • Providing a completely independent and thorough social work assessment of your loved one’s care and support needs

My mum has already got a council social worker, can you still help me?

I help a lot of families to communicate better with their council social worker so that they know, what support is available, what the process is and how to ask for it without getting fobbed off. If your mum’s opinion is different from yours, it can be very useful to have an independent person such as myself involved to advise you.

Call 07923 184316 or send an email below to learn more about how you can access independent social work support.